Friday, June 13, 2008

Common Phrases...

Earlier this year.....

....our Instructional Facilitator is spending some extra time tutoring some of ourn1st grade students in reading. They need the extra help and she has decided to pull-out these kiddos and give them some special small group time. Wonderful!

Some of the students she is working with are ESL (English as a Second Language) kids. During the course of one of her lessons the talk wrapped itself around "phrases".....the explanation was given that they are words that are put together and used that way so that after a while they are always used together. Examples were given (Happy Birthday, Happy New Year, Good Morning, etc) She then asked the kiddlets if they knew any phrases. Of course some gave answers in their native languages and then translated them for her. One child looked at her and said he knew of a phrase I used when I came into his teacher's classroom. She asked him what it was. He threw his arms in the air, waved them from side to side, and said loudly, " I can't take it no mo'!!!!" Then he put his hands down, nodded his head, and said "uh huh, that is what she says ALL THE TIME".

Later on I was called into her classroom and was told this story. I was quite impressed with his accurate imitation of me....Then she advised me to change my phrase to something more positive yet accurate. I thought about it for a minute and said, "OK...I'll change my phrase. My new one will be 'Let's tipple the ripple!'".....LOL

The conversation ended there and the issue was never brought up again...

3 comments:

Blueberry said...

he he he! that is funny!

i must say that i love the comments you leave on my blog! they always make me smile/laugh. (sproutcicle! ha ha ha ha!)

Kalliope said...

I can't take it no more! I need a vacation. Two weeks and I'm home free for 9 whole glorious days. Love the blog:-)

Christina said...

I'd better stop laughing or I'll wake up the kid. I am totally envisioning you waving your arms and dramtically wailing "I cant take it no mo!" Yep, that's our Nina.
I'm gonna see if I can get "let's tipple the ripple" to catch on everywhere....