Monday, June 23, 2008

I miss my peeps!!!

It's that time of year when I get homesick....and I am still at home....

How's that you may ask....well, go on...ask it, I gave you permission....

Well, the summer here in Texas is H to the O to the T!!! And the heat makes me sleepy and woozy....and it makes my mind drift.....and of course I think of nice coolness....enter the Land of My Peeps....GREECE....more precisely the island of Mykonos....ah that little bit of heaven here on planet Earth....

Oh how I miss it....the cool Aegean, the laid back life style, the white-washed houses.....and to keep one from turning into a total pagan, the 400+ churches....all of this loveliness on an island the size of Dallas....and I miss it so darn much ....NOW.

I hate to travel....really I do....I pack everything I own and find myself at the airport with about 300 suitcases....because you really never know what you will find yourself doing once you are over there...I know, I know...now airlines are going to charge you by the suitcase, but that doesn't bother me...the thought of not having my shoes and purse match does though...

But lately...I don't know what it is....I just want to "go home"....it does not help that my younger brother Nick (who has been living there for about 10 years) keeps tempting me with visions of hanging out on the beach....NOW he is tempting me with "come and visit and I will take you ANYWHERE in Europe you want to go"

"Anywhere Nick? How about Venice?" I reply....

"Which Venice? The one in Italy or the one on "The Island" (the one on Mykonos)....we are all now one EU familia.....so I'll take you anywhere.....and I'll keep in mind your fastidious nature....we'll call ahead and make sure that they have everything sparkling and shining before we get there..."

Ha. Ha.

My older brother's attempts at getting me over there (he lives there too) are a bit more... "basic" shall we say. "Come and see me....before one of us dies"......

"Gee George, that sounds so pleasant...how can I resist? Are you going to take me anywhere? " And his simple reply is " I'll take you to the coast of the Aegean around 5:00 am. That way you can see the sunrise as it has been observed over 2000 years...then we'll go to a small cafe by the beach and have some Starbucks...."

" Starbucks! Good grief, I can get that here!" I practically yell at him...

"OK, I'll put it in a stone chalice with naked people stomping grapes....is that better? LUNATIC!" he retorts.

Ha. Ha.

The tug is getting stronger....is it because I am getting older.....and I seem to see my own mortality? Is this why I wish to walk the same paths I walked when I was a child with my Yia-yia (Grandmother)? I really don't know....I just know that I miss this place.

So I am planning to go next summer....I have not told any member of my family yet, just in case....but I think I will go....I want to go.

This is a big step for me...not only because I plan to travel (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA the sheer ickyness of it!!!) but because I am not an impulsive person....I need two weeks to be impulsive....I plan when to have hic-ups....I arrange to have a cold on weekends when I am not busy....so for me, this is a HUGE step....this is practically-being-there-right-now for me...

"Hey Nick, will I be able to check my emails...will I be able to blog (yup, I do that now)....?" I ask.

"Oh sure, now that we have eee-lec-trictiy here you can do all that and more!! Duh! Where do you come up with your questions?"

Ha. Ha.

Boy, do I sure miss my peeps! *sigh*



And now, for some commonly found views of that magical place...that isle of isles....Mykonos....


This looks like one of the streets my Yia-yia
and I would go for walks on....










And this is the harbor
that awaits all who come
to this island.















Here is the "True Mayor of Mykonos"...Petros the Pelican and his mate.














A view of Ornos Beach - one the few non-nude beaches on the island in 1979. I don't know the status of it now....

1 comment:

Christina said...

This make me miss Nick! Tell him hi for me next time, okay?

since you'll be packing so many suitacse anyway - you know, so you have all your matching accessories - will you bring one extra one with ME inside? I'd love to see Greece...