Monday, July 7, 2008

Criticism from the lower ranks.....

"Um, Nina...do you mind if I tell you something?" my daughter asks (she is my stepdaughter, so she calls me by my first name)

"Shoot, kid. What's on your mind?"

"Promise you won't take it the wrong way?" Gee, she seems a bit nervous.

"I'll try". Some concern.

"It's the way you load the dishwasher...it's very ....inefficient" The last part is said in a rush...

"Huh? Kid, I've been loading dishwashers since before you were thought of by your parents...what are you talking about???" I am a pretty organized person...and this is a challenge to my organization skills....

"Since it is my job to clean up the dishes after a meal, I would rather you do not load up the dishwasher.....if you really want to help, I would rather you just clean off the counter tops..." I was raised with the mantra that "many hands make chores go quickly" and " everybody has a job to do within a home"....so her job is cleaning up the kitchen....my husband's is to cook....and I ...well I supervise *wink*...no really, I know I help...somewhere...

"Oh, reeeeaaaallllly???? What do you propose? How about if you come up with a manual with step-by-step directions. You could call it 'Making Friends with your Dishwasher'....hmmmm would that be OK with you???" OMG...I just love sarcasm.

"Actually, that's a good idea....and along with the directions, I could have sketches of the inside of the dishwasher from the top.....we could have some for the top rack and some for the bottom rack....and I could create acceptable loading scenarios....I would title it "Your Dishwasher is Your Friend...what do you think?"

I would so love to hurt her now.

3 comments:

Blueberry said...

i'm sorry but that is funny. very funny! :)

Christina said...

She insulted your organizational skills?! Whoa, Kalli, you're a brave one!!

But hey, if it means less work for you, I'd go with it!

Nina said...

Ah, that's cold Blueberry ;)