Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Let the training begin....

OK...we have dogs in the house.....and to my mind they are untrained.....and I cannot stand that....and I will not take it anymore....

My original pups (Kelly Bundy, Zorba Zorbachov Spotaffucio, Oliver Cromwell Twist, and Karla Jane DuPree) were trained....I should know, I trained them. At the time I was a volunteer dog-trainer with one of our local humane societies.

Then other things got my time and I stopped partaking of this activity. My husband's dog is Aggie (he has had her before we got married).

Kelly, Zorba, Karla crossed the Rainbow Bridge and Oliver is left....since then we have been adopted by Trixie, Chakotay, Belle, and Molly.

Trixie is as old as dirt and partly blind....she has forgotten most of her training and I do not have the heart to discipline her...but the others........ to use my now-famous classroom quote...."I caint take it no' mo'!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The uncontrolled behavior is a source of irritation and embarrassment.... I hate having anything "unbehaved" at home....I hate having to sedate them/move them to another room before people come over....so I made up my mind to start training them this summer.

And lo and behold as I made my decision I happened to catch The Dog Whisperer on The National Geographic Channel!! *W*O*W!! By applying what I already knew, to what he teaches I have noticed an almost immediate improvement in our dogs' behaviors....

One of the major differences in what I would normally do is to have my husband discipline Belle instead of me.....she is his dog and she needs to recognize him as the top Alpha (although all people in our home are to be considered Alphas by our canine crew.)

Quiet is once again taking a foothold in our household.....Belle's temper is being curbed...and valuable life lessons are being learned! Boo ya!

So now things are getting a lot quieter in Nina-polis.....boundaries are being set and followed....well adjusted animals are hanging out with us bipeds....and I am being worshiped as the Alpha female (as it should be).....

2 comments:

Miss 376 said...

Oh to be Alpha female! The boys love watching that program. They waiting for our aniaml count to drop drastically so they can get a dog

Christina said...

Yeah, that is awesome! Hmmm, I wonder if dog training principles apply to little humans too....(or big humans, too! I have a hubby that could use some training!)