Friday, July 11, 2008

Teachin' 'em right!

How often must we go through this? How many times will this kid drive me insane? Every day, the same thing....day after day....year after year....when will she realize that it's all about Nina?

It's not like we don't hold an informal review and assessment (teacher talk) every day....

As we drop her off at work ....
"By ya'll....see ya later! I love you!"
"OK kid...love ya....by me something!"

As she lets me know she got paid...
"My paycheck is in today and I was thinking..."
"Let's go by me something"

When she goes to a conference or a class....
"You should have heard our speaker! The talk was mainly...."
"Did you get me anything?"

Why can't she just get it? Why is her little brain refusing to wrap itself around this simple, basic concept?

Oh, I know what you are thinking....she is doing her "own things" and forgets...but it's not like I have not laid out some reminders...for example, she wanted to arrange it so that every number on her cell phone has it's own ring song ("Butterfly kisses" when her dad calls, etc). So to aid her, when she asked me what song do I want for my number I picked "God save the Queen". You see! I DO try to help her! I tell her some mom's would say "whatever" but I put thought into it and came up with an idea that would help her remember that it's all about Nina....and her constant forgetfulness is the thanks I get!

Another example....
At Christmas-time I always watch "A Christmas Carol" with her...and when we talk about the meaning of the story I carefully remind her of the Ghost of Christmas Presents...

Yet one more...
I cannot tell you the MILLIONS of times that she comes home and wants to talk about her day....so I always ask her "Did you buy me anything?". When she answers in the negative, I then reply "Well then I don't wanna hear about your ugly ole day". I must admit that this has helped and now in answer to my question she has begun bringing me things (new shoelaces, a new eraser) so then I tell her "I'm all ears! Tell me about your day!". And I listen "real good" asking questions and inserting exclamations....

I am not ungrateful for the progress we have made...but it has been a long hard road....at times it seems that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel....at other times it is only a dream...

So what do I do with my little treasures? I put them in a container in my nightstand. In there are all the other things my daughter has brought me over the years....some have a note attached to them explaining the circumstances surrounding them....every shoelace, every key chain, every bookmark, every glass case...all of 'em have a special unique meaning to me.....some make me laugh, some bring a tear, and some just make me think.....

One day, she will have even more of her own life....and I will be able to go back to these items and look at them (actually, I already do that) and remember....and be glad I got to share in her life....and make plans for teachin' my future grandchildren that it's all about Yiayia Nina. :-D

4 comments:

Kalliope said...

Nothing to bring you today. Sorry:-)

Christina said...

Kids....what are ya going to do with them?! She's hard-headed, that Kalli!

Nina said...

I am going to hurt you bimbo (Kalli)!

Kalliope said...

I am not hard headed, I'm stubborn there is a difference. As for you Squibby (Nina), BRING IT ON! LOL