Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Week Insights...

This year the first week of school began as I had expected it to....lesson plans were ready....desks, books and folders were in place....my reading corner (my pride and joy) was awaiting little curios kiddos....

As the kids came into my classroom and supplies were documented and put away, I looked at the somewhat anxious faces of the parents in my class. I almost felt sorry for them....almost. Why, oh why can't they just drop off their kids and leave? Don't they realize that the long good-bys create tearful farewells? Don't they know that I am here for their kids? I want to tell them these things...I want to tell them that I am going to take good care of their babies...that I will love them too...that I will nurture them and wipe their tears away...that I do this job for the love of it and certainly not for the once-a-month paycheck (yup, teachers here get paid once a month...)....I try to find those words from somewhere deep inside me ....yet I hear my voice say..."OK parents....thank you for trusting me with your children....I will do my best with this trust....see ya at 3:20 by the back doors! By!"

Yup, that's what actually comes out of my mouth. And ya know what? It works! Year after year this is what I say to parents....and it works....like the quick pulling off of a band-aid....it works. Pure and simple. It. Works.

Soooo...I herd the parents to my door all the while listening to their concerns, advice, and fears. At the door, I slowly close the door to several pairs of anxious eyes....

Then...I turn around and begin walking around the classroom introducing myself to the kids...showing them where things are....talking about our rules and expectations........

......when it hits me....or rather, I hit it.....B A M ......

My eyes water and the top of my head h u r t s....the feeling is much like the time my hubby pulled down the back door of the minivan on my head....YOUCH!!!

Oh no!!! Not this early in the year....not this soon.......the dreaded Fart Talk....

Usually the need for this conversational piece does not rear its head till the third week of school....but not this year!

When my eyes clear I find myself thinking "What on earth do these kids eat at home?"...but now is not the moment to stall....I have to act quickly because experience has taught me that when one child toots it won't be long before the others are inspired (I guess it is kind of like a feeding frenzy among sharks) and my classroom achieves a certain "glow".

I gather my little ones at the front of the room and I begin.."There are some things that we only do in the bathroom....we are going to talk about them and I know you are going to laugh....so go ahead and get the giggles out of your system. But then I want you to get serious with me..." ...and so the talk goes.

I can tell already, that this is going to be an interesting year since usually after this talk these kiddos loose most of their inhibitions with me and with their classmates....and before the year is over, I will know who does what to whom at home...and how often....and what is said/yelled/moaned during the event...oh yes, I will know it all....and I will keep it mind when I talk to the parents of these little darlings....and I will just smile...and take it all in stride....for I am a teacher.

2 comments:

Blueberry said...

ah ha ha ha! oh, you tell the best stories!!!!!

Christina said...

You have three more years and then you need to tranfer to the school Nadia will be going to, and be her teacher. Please? You rock.

Oh, and at N's preschool they don't even let parents in the room. It sucks for me, but I understand why. N sure hasn't had any problem with goodbyes!