Sunday, September 28, 2008

Getting my Greek on!

It was a BLAST!

This past Saturday my family and I hooked up with my hubby's cousins at the Greek Food Festival at one of the church's in the area....oh the food...oh the dancing...oh the laughter!

Every year we try to attend these gems of contact with our culture....and every year we just have more and more fun. We extend invitations to our non-Greek friends to come and join us for an unforgettable evening and for the most part many of them come. There are two more Greek Food Festivals in our area and the one we attended last night was the best of the three. The church is the most b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l in the area, the bands brought in are f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c, the food is just d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s !!!

There was only one small incident that almost marred and otherwise boo-yaa night. As some of you may know, I am a vegetarian...this means that I do not even partake of the gyros, shish-ka-bobs, pastitsio, or even meat dolmathes at Greek events....not to worry though since my husband (one of the best cooks I have ever met) makes these treats for me at home from meat that I find acceptable (meat that, when alive, was treated as God intended , was fed a proper diet, and was killed humanely) . Honestly, I could not care less if I did not even eat that kind of meat either, but since many of my childhood memories involve certain "comfort" foods I will eat them (if made from acceptable meat)....anyway, back to my originial topic....the "incident"....since I would not eat the meat in the dinner selections I decided to buy certain things individually (spanakopita [spinach pies in filo], tiropita [cheese pies in filo], saganaki [flaming cheese] -- all things I grew up with). As we were standing in line, I overheard a young lady say "This is the line for food for old farts".....

What the hell? Who does she think she is calling old farts? Who does this child think she is? My feathers were ruffled....it was time to teach this person some manners....I expressed these thoughts (and several others) to my daughter....I was ready to settle some things, when Kalli stopped me and informed me "Not old farts...she said this is the line to get food a-la-cart! Just go sit down and I'll get your food. You have already made a spectacle of yourself!" This was followed by a dramatic rolling of the eyes...

Oh. My bad. So I went and sat down at our table...I could have sworn I heard "old farts".....I seem to be hearing things in re to "farts" quite a lot lately...

2 comments:

Miss 376 said...

That's what parents are for, embarassing their children

Christina said...

hehe. I think "old farts" is better. ;o) I wish we could have joined you guys! Let's plan on ding St. D's together.