Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A translation...sort of......

Today was a normal day at work. During one of our Restroom and Water Breaks one of my students come in and tells me that another boy from another class is bothering him in the bathroom.

"Do you know who the boy is?" I ask.

"No" came the reply.

"Can you find him and bring him here?"

"Uh huh"

Moments later, in comes my student with the culprit.

"Are you supposed to be playing around in the bathroom?" I ask of him?

No answer... so I ask the question again....still no answer.

Ooookay......I look at the child and think to myself "He is of Hispanic heritage, maybe he does not understand English very well....".

To solve this dilema, I call yet another student over and ask him to translate the question I had posed.

This third little guy looks at me, then looks at the other child and begins to translate...

"ARE......YOU.....SUPPOSED....TO.....BE.....
PLAYING.....AROUND.....IN....THE....
BATHROOM"
he yells -- all the while speaking very slowly.....

*SIGH* "What are you doing???" I ask

"Translating for you....."

I just stare at the two of them.....and they just stare at me.......and then we all just quietly go back to our desks.....

4 comments:

Blueberry said...

he he he!! you have such interesting days! :)

Miss 376 said...

Think I could have done that! lol

Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said...

Hey Nina
I just wanted to say thanks so much for visiting my guest post at Momology and for leaving a comment - I really do appreciate it.

I bet you have so many stories with being a teacher. That 'translation' conversation was hilarious! At least it gives you plenty of blogging material!

Elaine A. said...

Nina! I just came by to let you know that you won my giveaway for the Beaucoup favors!

Please email me with your email so the company can send you your credit!

ealguire at sbcglobal dot net

Congrats! : )