Monday, October 27, 2008

A little peace and quiet....

As I get ready to leave for the day I get my room ready for the next time my students and I meet as a "Learning Family" (one of my favorite sayings) when I will once again enter my classroom to savor the sound of.....silence....ah--that sweet, golden sound...

Fearful of breaking the magic, every morning I don't even turn on all the lights....I just flick the first of the 3 switches and head for my desk.

After unloading my bag, purse, and lunch box I go through my morning routine....as I fumigate my room with germ-killing spray, I go around the room turning on all my "indirect" lighting (some time ago I read how florescent lights over-stimulate children....all my doubts were erased when I had a severely ADD/ADHD child in my class one year....he would tell me all the time "the lights were buzzing above us" and would only quiet down when I turned off the over-head lights)--these are the lamps by the computers, the one near my desk...and all those in my reading corner....

Ahhhh...that corner...it is my pride and joy. It has decorative items, Christmas lights (for added glow) lamps and plants...a small, lighted water feature... our Tattle-Tale chicken ("Are you tattling? Is this an emergency? Is someone in danger? Is someone on fire? Is someone sick or bleeding? No??? Then go tell our chicken and if it is REALLY important she'll come and tell me....and they actually go and whisper to our Tattle-Tale Chicken!)... two large stuffed mascots (BEVO and Revelie --for you Texans out there) because it is way more fun to read to a soft pal than to read alone....two dinosaur chairs, a small child's park bench, and a small lounge chair and plenty of labeled bins with books...All laid out in an inviting manner just waiting for some little ones to come and enjoy it all.....(one of the many times I wish I had the ability and the camera to take a pic of something).

I turn on iTunes to either Ambient music or Classical Piano...the room is now complete....so I turn to the Icons in my room, close my eyes and pray....."Please, please let me reach out to them....help me touch them and get through to them...."

Finally, I sit at my big desk (it really is big) and turn on my computer.....I check emails...and tend to the thousand or so other things that require my attention....

And so my day begins...

1 comment:

Christina said...

Can you recreate that reading corner in muy house?!?! I will spend ALL my time there. Oh, and Tattle Tale chicken is brilliant.