Sunday, November 30, 2008

Deck the Halls....not

OK...so everyone around me who celebrates Christmas has begun (and some have even finished) decorating their homes for Christmas....not us...not yet...

Why? Well, because I want to enjoy the Fall/Thanksgiving decorations we have in our house for a few days longer....I like the wreath (the size of a Truck tire) I made...the welcome signs my husband and daughter made, the decorations on the mantle, the pumpkins on top of the china cabinet, dish hutch, and kitchen cabinets, the swags above the windows, the seasonal kleenex box J made, the centerpiece we made, and the small tablecloths I made.....they are just too cute to take down yet....


I have often felt that Thanksgiving is "the forgotten holiday"....there it is--squashed between Halloween and Christmas....two very lucrative holidays for businesses....just sitting there all demure and quiet...It is due to this factoid we decided to give this wonderful holiday it's due and decorate the house up for it (all the way down to tablecloths for the dining table, kitchen towels and potholders, and fingertip towels in the guest [and still unfinished] bathroom).


But take them down I must....and take them down I will....or rather we will. Yup, this week they will come down to be replaced by Christmas decorations they match up to item for item.

I guess this comes from having so darn much to be grateful for.....(continued writing about that to follow)...that I not only firmly believe that I need/must take time to say what I am thankful for (and why) but I must show this noble holiday the respect and love I feel it is owed to it.....after all, anything or anyone that gives me a chance to pause and reflect on all I have been blessed with deserves this...and so much more....

Till next year, my dearest Thanksgiving.....I will continue to count my blessings and thus give myself days full of blessings to live in.....

1 comment:

Christina said...

I'd probably wait longer to decorate for Christmas if I had that much fall decorations, too! Wow, sounds like your place is TOTALLY decked out for Thanksgiving!