Saturday, November 29, 2008

More Thankfullness....

Kalli and Stephan.....the next subject of my writing.....and what can I say?

I have known these kids since they were 6 and 4 (respectively).....I was their Sunday School Teacher...and at first I thought they were weird.....let me elaborate.....since our church was small there were not that many children of one age group to make up a class....so it was decided to combine age groups....I ended up teaching the youngest group, which included Kalli and Stephan. Now Stephan is 6' 5" tall, but back then he was a very tall 4 year old.....and for some reason I had to stop and untangle him from his folding chair about 15 times in a matter of 45 minutes. I remember thinking "geez...this kid is something else....and I am so glad he is not mine!" Kalli, on the other hand, kept interrupting me....and talking to others the entire time of the class....she just would not shut up! And I mean she would just get up and go around to me or the other kids and just talk into our faces.....OMG!!

Boy, oh boy how things have changed....I could not love these kids more if they were my own. As I started dating their father (a story in and of itself!) I got to know them and their lives....I would listen to their hopes and dreams....and be drawn into their lives...so that by the time their father and I married, we were ready to become our own little cool unit.....

Stephan, I have seen you grow up into the young man I had always pictured you becoming.....your intelligence and poise are only matched by you kindness to small children, animals, your family, and especially your father.....it is clear in your eyes how much you love him (at least it is to me). You have become such a responsible husband....I see the way you take care of your wife....I hope she knows how very blessed she is to have you in her life...

Kalli, I guess I know you better than Stephan since you have lived with us the longest. I have heard you tell me of the trials of your childhood, your desire to live with your father when you were younger, and so many, many other personal things.... I have felt the sorriest for you, because so many things that little girls learn from their mother you were never taught....and when you entered adulthood it showed....so I guess it fell to me (by God's hand) to teach you....so I have had to be abrupt and (often-times) strict with you so that I can get all the learning you should have gotten when you were younger into you right now.....after all, none of us knows how long we will be on this planet and I want to make sure I have gotten you caught up with others of your age.....I admit to being hampered by your blindness (although I have learned to use it to our advantage--after all, if you bring a cane to church with you on Christmas and Easter services you are guaranteed of getting in and out of the building faster than most--the crowds just clear the way....but I digress)....yet I am proud of your progress....that is why I crow and go on and on when you get a compliment on your behavior (based on what I have taught you)....my parents did that....and I have seen others do it. And although at the time I saw it I could not understand it, now I do....for when your child succeeds because they took the time to listen to you, you feel a pride that is difficult to put into words....

I could not love these kids more if I had given birth to them.....and if there is a love that only birth children and their parents feel then I cannot imagine the intensity of it....since what I feel for these kids is pretty intense itself....I still get up at night and check on Kalli in bed (surrounded by her stuffed animals and pets)....I still worry till she lets me know she got to work safely....I still insist that when she goes out of the house (when we are not home) she calls me before and after she goes out the door (even if it is just going into the backyard)....I still review in my mind what Kalli wears before she goes off to work....isn't this what parents do? It is what mine did....

I am so very grateful to have these kids in my life...and look forward to growing old with them still in it.....they have made things fun, interesting, and more meaningful for me...they have shown me my mortality and have given me hope that a part of me will still live on in the world after I am gone....the part of me that took the time to teach them what had been taught to me by my parents and grandparents.... if I do have a regret, it is that they did not have what they needed from their mom....if I do have a fear, it is that I may not have taught them all they needed to know....

I love these kids dearly....

3 comments:

Blueberry said...

oh they are so lucky to have you in their lives! :)

Kalliope said...

I agree. I am one of the luckiest kids in the world. I know that I don't always make it easier for you, but know that even though it may not seem like it I am listening. You are now and have always been a bright spot in my life. You are there when I need to talk, vent or cry just as you are there for all the hugs kisses and laughter., There are many times in my life that I pause and remember some little story or saying that you have told me and it brings a smile to my face. Thank you for always being there for me even though it wasn't/isn't always easy. I love you to pieces Skittles, Squibby, Booboo, Ninaki, but most of all best of all Mom:-)

Christina said...

Yes indeed. Very blessed to have you indeed!

And I love the little S & K stories. :o)