Friday, November 28, 2008

A new adventure.....

I am going to take a brief break from writing what I am thankful for to write about our adventures today.

Last night, as we were recovering from our feast we saw on tv advertisements for "Early Bird / Doorbuster Sales" at different stores....one of the things advertised was a GPS system....my hubby said he was going to make it to Kohl's at 4:00 am and get it for me ( I have been wanting one for about a year)....

"Sure you are dear" was my response...."I would love to get up and see that event"

Kalli said she would like to go with him....."you wanna come with us Nina?"

Now, why would I want to deprive myself of sleep just to go out with a bunch of nuts? Still, I gotta see this...."OK", I say.

3:00 am rolls around quickly enough and we are on the road by 3:30. I marvel at the complete lack of traffic ....oh how naive of me!!

Once we hit Kohl's I see a line rolling around the store...and it is only 3:50! Good Grief!!!
"OK...how bad can this be? It is just shopping....", I think.....

My feelings are quickly slapped out of me...by the chaos going on inside the doors (the only doors open)....people pushing....people jockeying for carts, for numbers to stand in line at the jewelry counter, for items.....geeez!

Since I am not here to shop, I just people watch....for the most part, people are nice....but there are a few bad eggs in the crowd. For kicks and grins, I get a number for the jewelry counter...then on a whim I get another....let's see, my smaller number is 32...and the customer being served is number 2....this ought to be good. Afterwards, I go around and trade my numbers to those with bigger ones....then I trade again....and again.....

I am brought out of this event by Kalli and Jason....they have my GPS system.....noting that they had saved $180.00....WOW! Now they have my interest....

"Do all stores have these kinds of sales?" I ask...."Uh huh" comes the answer...

So off we go to Walmart....and the specials found there....once again, upon arrival there is madness....but I notice the quiet that seems to be hanging on everyone....that is until the moment the sales begin (5:00 am thank you)....then there is a loud rumbling as something like 3 million carts begin moving. And here I am, standing slack-jawed as I see this event.....unbelievable! See, there are these giant piles of stuff in between the aisles....and they are covered in dark plastic wrap.....when the time strikes 5, the plastic is ripped off and the craziness begins....at one point I was standing there with my cart waiting for Kalli and Jason...and I was literally sucked into this line of shoppers....my hands flailed for my cart, but I could not hold onto it....however, I did not despair much because I passed by some 8-inch digital frames....on sale (of course)...so I picked up a few for fam....and then when the line lost its momentum, I swum back upstream like a pudgy salmon and found my cart.....on the way towards the front, I found a nice clock for other family and a tray for a project of my hubby's.....as the tide of shoppers continued, I found J & K, and we "floated" towards the cashiers and out the front door.

Now I was in the groove....so why not go to another store...so off to Target (which had its sales starting at 6:00)....OK...I am back in my element...shopping....an art form I have not participated in, in a while.....but I can hold my own with the best of them.....so once in the store. (yes there was a line there too till the single door allowing us in opened) I grabbed Kalli and Jason by the hands and lead them (all the while watching for small children and the elderly) to the game section where I found what I wanted for Kalli (she had to choose from the variety there)....slowing down only once to pick up a DVD (without fully breaking my stride).....

Then we partook of coffee...then headed for Walgreens....

NOW shopping is done.....actually, it had been done by September....these last gifts were add-ons....

Will I ever do this again??? Well, it was chaotic (the shoppers at Target were much more genteel than those at Walmart, but not as refined as those at Kohl's)...and there was all that mad rushing around....and having to fight the vortex of lines that sprung all around me and threatened to assimilate me.....but I would have to say..."Yeah! I would do this again".....yet to be on the safe side I still plan to have shopping done by September.....then hit these places up later with a well-thought out game plan (not unlike one lady who had walkie-talkies to communicate with her sons as they worked their way to different areas of the store till they hooked up again....) for some extra bargains on some extra gifts....

What an adventure!

3 comments:

Blueberry said...

you are brave. i will not shop on this day until after noon when all the crazies have gone home! ;) (i used to work at one of the big retail stores and i still have nightmares about thanksgiving and day after thanksgiving sales!! ha ha!)

Kalliope said...

I am truly honored to have shared this adventure with you. I sort of look forward to next year. I am glad we made out out alive little salmon:-)

Christina said...

Wow, you are hardcore! I've never done black Friday sales...but a friend talked me into going with her next year! Sounds like you did great!