Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Getting ready for the New Year...

Boy, oh boy...am I tired....today I finished my "cleaning, organizing, tidying up" the house in anticipation of the New Year...I bleached my way into a practical coma...

This tri-yearly event takes place before the major days of celebration in our household (New Year's, Pascha (Easter), and Ecclesiastical New Year) and has been passed down to me by my mother (As my brother Nick says, "If you think Nina is clean, then my mother is her Guru...") and begins one week prior to the Big Event.

Drawers, doors, and cubbies are opened, cleaned and re-organized. Ceilings are vacuumed. Clothing is taken out, re-folded or re-hung. Vents are cleaned both in front and behind said vent. And this is all done in connection with the regular housecleaning (although I have been told on many occassions that my weekly housecleaning is what many consider "spring cleaning"--I just don't get it)...and now everything is ready...unless I have forgotten something.....and actually I have this nagging feeling I have. Somewhere....somewhere this is this small spot that I have not gotten to....perhaps it is a dresser drawer....or a corner of a closet....or maybe in the kitchen....there lurks somewhere in this house a pocket of filth.

Ooooo...I can just imagine those germs mocking me....laughing at me....reproducing via some unconventional way of multiplying....getting bigger and bigger, till they take over my entire household....oh what horror!

All of a sudden my eye is twitching....and my finger is just itching for my cleaning bottle...I look around my little house....all is quiet. J has gone to pick up Kalli from work. The pets are all asleep. Nobody is aware of the danger that is possibly lurking in our midst...but I am. I am on watch....and now...to paraphrase Elmer Fudd, "Shhhhh...Be vewy, vewy quiet....I am on a germ/bacteria/filth/dirt/dust/dust bunny hunt...."

2 comments:

Christina said...

Nina, I don't think I'm going to invite you into my house anymore. I'm too embaressed at how UNclean it is next to your cleaning prowess! Serously, woman!!

Nina said...

Ummm...actually every time I have been at your house it has been neat and tidy....