Friday, April 10, 2009

R.I.P. Panda Kat

It's really hard to have your pets all around the same age....or even most of them. We have had 4 cats that we got around the same time 16 years ago...and this past Wednesday morning (around 1:15 am) Panda Roo Kathmandu Pierpont Vanderkellen I crossed over the Rainbow Bridge to join the other 3.

Man of House got her for me so long ago when we had first started dating. Anyone who knows even a scintilla about me knows how much I adore pandas....so when he saw this little black and white kitten he knew she was the one for me. She was my first cat...and she followed me around everywhere I went in the house.

Not for her the usual problems people have with kittens....no scratching of anything, no lack of use with the litter box, no furballs - not a one. Once when she was just a wee thing, I was getting ready to say my prayers. She came up to me and wanted to play. I gently pushed her away and said something like, "I am going to do my prayers now, so you need to go away and behave." She scooted off and I began my prayers. A little while later a movement caught the corner of my eye and I looked...there was Panda with her little furry fish....she quietly brought it over and sat and played with it while I prayed. That was the kind of cat she was.

When she reached 6 mos old, I decided to get her spayed. She went to the doctor, got everything taken care of, and returned the next day. Only problem was, she had a little fever, so she was on meds for that. I noticed that later she was trying to pull her stitches out (and had in fact pulled one completely out). So an Elizabethan collar was brought home from the vet and put on her. At first she tried to back out of it (a comical sight to be sure), but when she accepted it she just looked at me as if to say "OK...I don't understand this, but I trust you". While almost all the cats I have heard of don't even attempt to get into their litter box while wearing this collar, Panda did her best to make it in...and succeeded. Not one accident happened during this time.

But that was Panda....even Man of House remarked she was not normal in her behavior (she never got into anything she was not supposed to and as a result I would leave just about anything out without fear--a habit I quickly modified when I got my other cats).

So after 16 years together, Tuesday we knew it was her time. We all held her and talked to her. I reassured her it was OK for her to cross over the Rainbow Bridge....and so she did....but in her own true style. For on Tuesday it was Kalli's birthday....and in Panda's wonderful nature, she held on till just after midnight the next day and passed away. She was near me at the time and I will be grateful to God (again) that one of our fur-babies crossed over while surrounded by loved ones.

Be free, my darling Panda Roo. Thanks for being my cat and for letting me be your person for 16 years. I will miss you more than you know.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of another fur-baby Nina!

Jessica said...

I am so sorry for your loss.....this post made me cry. I just had to put my 13 year old dog to sleep on April 5th. She was my best friend since I was 10 and its been the hardest thing to lose her....but I have a small black and white kitty that looks like your panda kat....she is a year old and is definitely soothing my soul in my time of grief. I just wanted to extend my deepest sympathy to you and your family as I know exactly what you are going through right now. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.