Sunday, May 17, 2009

Another early-morning adventure....

The last time we woke up early and left the house was when we had this adventure....

This time it was to satisfy a curiosity of another kind......a desire to learn.....

We had been planning to go to the King Tut Exhibit for the longest time....and this weekend was the last chance we had to attend....my daughter went on line and found out that since 05.17.09 was the last day before all this left our area, the exhibit was open for the next 24 hours....and that the price of the tickets was severely reduced if we attended between the 12:00 - 7:30 am showing.....so we made plans the night before....but sadly the only time slot that was not sold out was the 5:30 - 6:30 showing....

OK...I figured if I can do this to have fun on the day after Thanksgiving, I could do this in order to edify myself....I can do this...I really can....

Then at 4:30 the next morning I had my doubts....but after much self-prodding, I was ready to go at the appointed time....all 3 of us were. To my great surprise there were quite a number of people there when we arrived at the Museum. Who knew???

And boy, oh boy, am I glad I went! To see sights and wonders that will not pass by here again during my lifetime was breath-taking. To gaze upon the statue of Ramesses' face and have my brain wrap itself around the fact that this is the face of someone alive during Biblical times (and according to some, may have actually dealt with Moses!!!!!!!!!) almost gave me a headache.

All of this became too much for me....I fell apart....and became separated from Husband of House and Daughter of House....so....I began to walk like an Egyptian (although I did not hum that song at all). I pointed my feet in one direction, moved my arms at angles in front and behind me, and started to walk from exhibit to exhibit (it should be pointed out that I had already been reprimanded for touching a statue of Tut and his mom....I just had to....I did not want to...I had to....I'm sure you understand).

When I grew weary of this mode of transport, I found myself in front of the Royal Staff and Flailing-thingy....now I know this is hard to believe, but I do not own these items....so I thought about it, and I took off my crock-knock-offs and held them across my chest, kept my feet pointed in one direction and it the oh-so-familiar Egyptian pose of one foot behind the other, and proceeded to more exhibits (this did make holding the Audio-Commentary-Thingy a bit on the difficult side, but I overcame...I know, you are proud of me...)

By this time, I finally reached the end of my adventure....Man of House and Daughter of House were waiting for me....

Now, as if this was not enough....I realized that there was more joy in store for me! For you see, the money we saved on tickets got to go to some really nice things in the gift shop....you should see my Pharoe's hat! Truly an au curant item...I wore it to the 3D movie about ole Tutenkhamun (this was the first 3D movie where the stupid glasses actually worked!) and actually FELT the moment...I WAS there.....I found myself RULING Egypt....I wanted to make those stiff-necked Hebrew slaves finish my Jubilee City (quick, what movie is that from?)....at least till the movie was over and Husband of House rolled his eyes at me and told me to "snap out of it"....

After this tiring but erudite adventure, we headed off to church....my Pharoe's hat safely put away....my fingers itching to put it on....and command my Army to make our steeds run faster...pulling our chariots into the land of the Nubians....ready to take more land to make Egypt stronger....

...there is Man of House giving me that strange look again....

No comments: