Saturday, September 19, 2009

From the other side of the needle...

I believe that precaution is worth it's weight in gold. Not of course if you write it on a piece of paper and weigh it...but if you write it on a stone....then it is a whole other story....but, alas, I digress....yet again....(the last part spoken with an English accent)....

So every year I drag my hubby along and we go get a flu shot. Now being the sensitive and tender person I am (Man of House calls it "being a hypochondriac" [yeah, whatever]) things such as flu shots (shots of whiskey, or vodka included) have s to the r to the ong effect on me. And said effects are quick in their appearance.

Last year, when the harpoon-passing-for-a-needle was used on me, I howled in pain. It not only hurt my sensitive and tender skin, but to this day I am convinced that a piece of needle was left in there.....

Soooo....when the time came for this year's puncture, I dragged hubby along...and when my turn came, I assumed the position (left hand limply at my side, prayers at my lips, and head leaning on the wall with eyes scrunched up as I await my dose of pain). The individual administering the shot asked me, "Didn't I give you a shot last year? I certainly remember YOU". Now why am I not flattered at this recognition?

The event commenced....and soon (not soon enough, if ya ask me) it was over.
"Wow! You sure are calm today!" he told me.

No movement from me. None. Nada. Tipota (Greek). Zilch.

"Hey, are you OK?" in a concerned voice (not concerned enough, if you ask me)

"Ooooh yes...I guess I am fine....why is it so foggy in here? Auntie Em...is that you? Did you find Toto? Is he alright?"

"I'm sure going to remember you next year!"

Now WHY don't I feel that is a compliment?

3 comments:

s-p said...

When I was in 3rd grade we got transferred to Taiwan by the Navy. We had to get a round of shots every week for 4-5 weeks, one in each arm. I learned to not tense up. I don't like being a dart board either. :)

Christina said...

I have a feeling NO ONE ever forgets you!!! I'm glad you lived to tell of another torture session, you brave woman you. BTW, love your fun new header!

cherish.photography said...

Flu shots are almost a necessity. My left me with a sore arm, for sure!