Saturday, September 12, 2009

Some early-on observations....

Those who know me know that I teach....first grade....the land of fun, honest comments...and gas.

Picture it...the first week of school....(quick, what show is this from?)...going to get my chillens from the cafeteria after lunch. To my dismay I am told that one of my kiddos was throwing food at others. SIGH....already? These kids don't even know each other yet.....and this little toot doesn't know ME yet.

Among the chaotic throng of little people getting their lunches, eating their lunches, crying at their lunches, and throwing away their lunches I find my class....and the little food-thrower amongst them.

"_____, come here to me". He comes over.

"Why did you throw food in the cafeteria?" No answer.

"Please look at me when I talk to you. Now, why did you throw food in the cafeteria?" No answer.

"OK, we don't have to talk about it here, but you and I are going to have a talk as soon as we get back to class."

He looks up at me and I see his mouth slowly open. Oh good, now we can get to the bottom of this...

He looks at me with his cute brown eyes (really, his is lovable) and says, "F___ you". I just stand there with my eyes blinking and, I am sure, a stupid look on my face.

Naw...he did not say what I thought he just said....it must be the noise and all in here....so I bend down and say "What did you say sweetie?"

"F___ you"....

Wow.

Move forward to one office referral and several days later....it is time to get ready to go home....I am busy assigning classroom jobs and showing students the basic requirements in doing them. Someone is making a great deal of noise with their increasingly louder voice....oh yes, it is my little "cusser"....

I go up to him and ask, "_______, how many times have I asked you to stop doing that?"

Comes the reply, "Five times, damn!"

I still have that stupid look on my face.....

4 comments:

Miss 376 said...

The joys of teaching! Makes you sad when you think they probably get language like that directed at them all the time

Blueberry said...

oh dear. :(

(and the show is "golden girls". i loved that show!!)

Christina said...

Oh my. Ian't say I envy you your job right now! But seriously, how sad that a kid that age have familairity with language like that.

s-p said...

ROTFL!!! This is why they can't do a show like "Kids Say the Darndest Things" anymore. Art Linkletter would roll over in his grave.