Thursday, March 11, 2010

Moments of love....

In my classroom there is love....love of reading, love of writing, love of math, love of chair, and love for each other....

Often as I move around and check on the progress of my little ones I feel from behind little arms wrap around me, a tight squeeze, and the words "I love you".

My response? "I love you too sweetie (or love-bug, or baby, or darling, or my love...). Experience has taught me that if I do not respond then the hug goes on and one till I do....however, sometimes even when I respond the hug goes on and on and on...so I just wait for it to subside on its own.

Several days ago I was walking around and monitoring work being done when I spotted a piece of paper on the floor. As I made my way to it, I felt a hug from behind. "I love you" was exchanged and each of us continued with our work. Ah, there's that paper....I get to it and bend down to pick it up...when I felt it...you guessed it.....a hug.

But this was not ordinary hug....a little head was leaning against...against...against my posterior....and little arms were wrapped tightly around me....so I waited...and waited...and waited....but there was no change.

I started to pull forward and walk, hoping that this would end this most unusual moment...but to no avail. The only change was that the little head on my...butt is moving side to side...and a little voice said, "You smell so good!" Wonderful.

What to do now? Do I just walk around like this till my little hugger stops? Do I go to a wall and scrape this little person off me? Do I stand up and risk loosing this pip between my cheeks?

Finally a thought came to mind and I simply said to my little love-bug, "You know I love hugs from all of you, but this one is hurting me"...and lo, it ended...just like that...it was over. Phew!

As I sloooowly got up (oh my aching back!), another (and more frightening thought popped into my head...."jeez kid, one good piece of gas from me and you would not have to worry about grades...I could have literally blown you into second grade!"

Another moment in public education....

3 comments:

Irene said...

Oh Nina! I am so glad you are loved by your pupils. That is wonderful. Bravo! I also love your sense of humor. Ha ha ha!

Christina said...

Oh Nina! How you make me smile! And how I love to picture you with your little sudents, all so full of love. Are you sure you don't want to move to McKinney and be N's 1st grade teacher?? You still have a couple years to think about it.

Miss Tilney said...

Hmmmm... can't say I'm fond of being hugged by small children myself. Miss Darcy is about my limit.