Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl XLV....again

On my last blog about the Super Bowl I wrote about a tradition my father and I started....and true to that tradition, Daughter of House and I dropped off Man of House at his "play date" (complete with instructions on how to behave)....but prior to this celebration a few interesting things happened....things that added some that special flavor to the day...

Go back to Saturday....Man of House and Daughter of House volunteered at the "NFL Experience"...and while there they got me Troy Polumalo's autograph (BOO YAH!) and a Commemorative Photo Plaque  (CA CHING!) ! This was more than I hoped for...and I certainly would have been happy with all that...really I would have.

But this morning I was at one of the churches we attend (we alternate between two Greek Orthodox Churches and would like to include the Church Christina attends eventually) when two women who had never been there before showed up with two little babies - a little boy of about 2 and a small baby. Now, one of these women looked familiar....and then something clicked in my wee, little brain....at first it was a tiny click....then it became bigger till I (in what I perceived in a cool and sophisticated way) looked again and realized that one of the ladies was Troy Polumalo's wife, his two children, and his mother-in-law.  Yeah....ya read it right....

I turned  s-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y back around so as not to cause a scene or anything and even promised Man of House I would not bug her when I went back to use the restroom. And I kept my promise...until I was ready to enter the church and I saw that Troy's toddler was being a typical child and not letting his mommy  enjoy church...ah such are the ways of little ones. So when she took him into the Narthex, I pointed out the "Children's Cry Room" and helped her get in there. I spoke to her briefly, and then left them both.

Now why have I just gone on and on about this? Yes, I admit I find Troy Polumalu nice to look at....he is hot....but there is a lot more to this guy.....a heck of a lot more. I have known about him for quite a while....I have always known about his deep faith in God, that he is (as those of us who are The Elder Ephraim's spiritual children) my Spiritual Brother in God via Fr. Ephraim....these things have moved  me about this man....but what stood out in my mind was "Wow....this man travels every week during the season and he still finds where the nearest Orthodox Church is....!!!  This really moved me...and got me to thinking. So I went back and re-read all the articles I read about him in the past...and they moved me too.  This man lives by what my father would say, " It is not what your job brings to you, but what you bring your job".

Now I am thinking....about quite a few things.....I'll write about those in a later post...when I can actually put my thoughts into words. In the mean time I will leave you with some reading about the man who has greatly influenced me. Enjoy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09032/945810-66.stm

2 comments:

Christina said...

WOW! That is so cool. Was that at St. Demetrios? He really is a shining example of faith.

::Sylvia:: said...

How cool! And I agree, their dedication is so inspiring. I know I don't always find a church to attend on Sunday when I'm out of town. I'm just too busy sometimes right? Or on vacation! Shame on me! May they continue to reap the blessing of that which they sow...